Hierarchy Security is a new feature introduced in CRM 2015. It makes the security architecture of CRM 2015 more flexible.
Common facts about Hierarchy Security
Before explaining how to setup hierarchy security in CRM 2015, I would like to mention few facts about Hierarchy Security.
- You can enable or disable hierarchy feature anytime from Settings>Security>Hierarchy Security
- Hierarchy feature can either be enabled on Manager Hierarchy or custom Position Hierarchy – cannot be enabled on both at the same time
- Hierarchy Depth is being used to limit the levels of access
- A manager or supervisor would inherit Read, Write, Append and Append To access on records owned by direct reports or owned by teams where direct reports are members in it
- A manager or supervisor would inherit only Read access on records owned by indirect reports or owned by teams where indirect reports are members in it
- To gain access via hierarchy security on any entity, Manager or Supervisor should have at least user level read access on that entity
- If we wish to exclude any entities from Hierarchy security access, it can be done from Settings>Security>Hierarchy Security